Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 162.80
  Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 Stakes Going Up This Week + Note on Purses
    Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 2:20pm
Hey guys!

I will be taking my first stab at posting the 2015 stakes schedule later this week (next Monday at the latest).  You will notice a few things, and I'll tell you the whys and hows :

All open stakes are now carded at 100k and G3s are 150k.  This matches the purses for these races offered by the game if you were to purchase them.  All G2s have a purse of 375k.   G1 races will have one of 4 different purse values : $6 million, $3 million, $1.5 million, and $750K.  These purse values may or may not relate directly to their real world purse value.  I am making this change for several reasons. 

Most importantly, it easily flags races for players to aim for.   The races in the sim with the highest purses will become our "flagship races."    Players that want to be considered for the EOY awards should target these races above all others, as they will weigh much heavier in EOY calculations (the EOY awards will be restructured early next year to accommodate these changes).  Currently, players have their own opinions on which races they should consider the most important.  This will allow everyone to pick from the same playbook.

Also, in the long run, it will end up saving me time to work on more important additions to the game.  In real life, purse structures are used to attract better horses to a track and, ultimately, make a race more prestigious (which may or may not work in real life).  Since the tracks in our simulation aren't "competing" with one another for quality horses, there is little reason not to formalize the purse structure. 

My method : I had a handful of players from around the globe whom I had hear from recently rate the most prestigious races in a region and globally.  I aggregated their data and weighed game-important facts in (such as : there are a lot more turf long G1s than other divisions), and tried to come up with a list to even the divisions out a bit.  There are still more "heavily weighted" turf races, but there was little way to avoid that.

I am sure there will be some disagreements on my ratings.  My goal is not to offend anyone's favorite regional racing, and I tried to get a good cross section of opinions when I set the purses.    Please understand I am simply trying to offer something that is best for the game in both the short run (EOY awards) and long run (more transparency for new players who have been confused by the purse : prestige correlation of races in the game).

Also, I  plan to get working on the sire pretty heavily this week and hope to have some information to post on my progress early next week. 

Thanks!

--Mike

Edited by administrator - 08 Dec 2014 at 2:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply