eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > Off Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Local News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 105.60
  Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local News
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:17pm
Those of you living in the United States may have noticed a few things going on in your towns & metropolitan areas. What I find interesting is that our game is global and we all see and process 'the news'.

My question is... how does the United States, and its current events, look to you Trainers who are citizens / residents of other places around the world?

This is meant to be an exercise in perspective, and not necessarily an ideological debate... but please elaborate on what you are seeing.

Thanks!
Horses who win races and stuff.
jwsonny View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 13.60
  Quote jwsonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:39pm
I don't know where to begin... but mostly I just feel sad. I work with many companies in St. Paul and Minneapolis and live just 10 minutes North of the Twin Cities. I have been to Minneapolis almost every day the last week. I always feel like I'm being dramatic when I say this but it feels like this place I have lived my whole life is now a battle zone ruin. I am typically politically charged and opinionated but I can't even attach anything political or opinionated to what I have seen. I just keep asking myself how we do this to each other. Kill each other, burn our homes, torch our cities...

To answer your question I just see hate and the sadness it leaves behind. Don't really know if I'm eloquent enough to elaborate beyond that.
Sonny - MN born & raised. Skol Vikes and Wild.

"A heart-pounding, PULSATING stretchdrive. And Tiznow prevails."
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:54pm
Thanks JW.
jwsonny View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 13.60
  Quote jwsonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:58pm
I just noticed that you were asking this of players outside of the US... my apologies
Sonny - MN born & raised. Skol Vikes and Wild.

"A heart-pounding, PULSATING stretchdrive. And Tiznow prevails."
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:21pm
Hey it's all good. I am sure many of us would like to know what it is like in Minnesota right now. I have friends in many corners of the world but (now, counting you) not many I know there.
valesa View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 4.60
  Quote valesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:00pm
I live in Woodbridge NJ but have family in Europe. When the protests and riots started they were constantly asking me if everything is ok where I am (it is). Everyone used to want to come here... Now I'm not so sure.
EOY Awards: Melanie - Champion Juvenile Turf Filly 2019
G1: Light So Bright, Melanie
G2: Death Be Not Proud
G3: She Walks In Beauty
oshtay View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.40
  Quote oshtay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:15am
I'm from England and several years ago we experienced demonstrations gone out of control/rioting/looting but not on the same level to recent events I've seen in the news, across the US.
We had a large protest/demonstration in the capital a few days ago and it went reasonably peacefully. Very few arrests and minor damage.
I won't even attempt to comment on the political side of things (is it even political anymore?). That is a can of worms I'll keep firmly closed. I just find it saddening and even a little scary that a nation, that to me (from the outside looking in), is great at so many things. However appears on the edge of going out of control in some major cities. I feel for the people that want to protest peacefully or want no part in the violence and destruction of properties, but are greatly affected by the current events.
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 2:36pm
Thanks Valesa and Oshtay.

I see this topic isn't getting much traction. I suppose that means something significant, but the story hasn't ended yet.

iant View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 125.50
  Quote iant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
The main issue you have is nobody is dealing with the problems. There seems to be no thought in how to prevent it happening again or less often at least.

There needs to be a mind set change for example using systems employed by the Army to defuse situations in war zones. Recruiting ex army personal from different backgrounds with these skills would help and bring a mentality change to the police. Non political police chiefs would be another big positive to improve policing long term.

On a more general observation it makes the US look like China at present think of Hong Kong the similarities are disturbing. Though one claims to uphold democracy the other does not.    

As with all demonstrations bad elements will exploit the situation for personal gain.

As for the UK things are not as blatant as they once were. It is more subtle but is still there. When you do encounter it blatantly though it feels pretty disgusting. Though it is not a one direction situation.
itch View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 28.10
  Quote itch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:28pm
It's a bummer that things are still the same.

I was sure when I was a kid that we were headed for better times.

People are still afraid of each other.

Martin Luther King wasted his breath and died for nothing.

That's what sucks.

I will have lived and died and every good thing I said will have done not one bit of good. Not one thing every good man said ever mattered even a little.

Could it be much worse if Jesus never had been born?

Why can't people love each other?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>